CDC’s MMWR is proud to present a FREE continuing education activity on opioid prescribing in partnership with Medscape. Continuing Medical Education (CME), American Board of Internal Medicine Maintenance of Certification (ABIM MOC), and Continuing Education (CE) credits are all available for this activity – CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain — United States, 2016. This activity is intended for primary care clinicians, nurses, and other clinicians prescribing opioids for chronic pain outside of active cancer treatment, palliative care, and end-of-life care.
Credits available include:
• Physicians – maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
• ABIM Diplomates – maximum of 1.00 ABIM MOC points
• Nurses – 1.00 ANCC Contact Hour(s) (0.25 contact hours are in the area of pharmacology)
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
1. Distinguish recommendations for starting or continuing opioids for chronic pain outside of active cancer treatment, palliative care, and end-of-life care, based on a guideline from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
2. Identify recommendations for opioid selection, dosage, duration, follow-up, and discontinuation, based on a CDC guideline
3. Distinguish recommendations for evaluating risk and addressing harms associated with opioid use, based on a CDC guideline
Access this activity from the top of MMWR’s homepage at www.cdc.gov/mmwr.